Friday, December 23, 2016

Birding Shinnecock Inlet

I arrived in New York last week with Harlequin Duck, Snowy Owl and Snow Goose on my target list for the trip. Earlier this week I headed down to Shinnecock Inlet in Hampton Bays to search for winter birds. It was around -5 degrees Celsius at the Inlet, and very windy. I walked to the jetty and scanned the flock of Black Scoters and to my surprise, I saw a pair of Harlequin Ducks.
Harlequin Duck - 19/12/2016
Harlequin Duck - 19/12/2016

The female was far out but the male came quite close to shore. The male's white markings and chestnut coloration was truly beautiful, but I continued down the beach to a massive flock of gulls. After doing a lot of walking and searching, I was rewarded with an Iceland Gull. My camera was out of battery, so I took a picture with my phone through my binoculars.

Iceland Gull - 19/12/2016

Iceland Gull - 19/12/2016
             





No comments:

Post a Comment