Friday, December 23, 2016

Birding Central Park

Central Park is most famous for warblers in Spring, but Winter is good for birds as well. I spent two days in Manhattan, and visited the park on both days.

Day 1:
On my first visit to Central Park, I started in the south of the park and headed to the Reservoir. On the way I saw a Hermit Thrush on a fence post. I was amazed at the tameness of the birds in the park, including the thrush, which let met approach it closely.


Hermit Thrush - 21/12/2016


I then continued on to the Reservoir, where I saw Northern Shovelers, Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks, American Coots and American Black Ducks.

Ruddy Duck - 21/12/2016

Bufflehead - 21/12/2016
In the Ramble, my main objective was to find a Fox Sparrow. After looking through the flock of White-throated Sparrows for a long time, I finally managed to locate a Fox Sparrow, with beautiful reddish coloration.

Fox Sparrow - 21/12/2016

Day 2:
On my second trip, my main goal was to see the Green-winged Teal and Wood Duck that had been reported in the days prior. I headed to the Pond where I quickly located the teal and got great views, while the Wood Duck was largely concealed by vegetation.
Wood Duck - 22/12/2016
Green-winged Teal - 22/12/2016
      
New York Skyline - 22/12/2016
                         

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment